Wednesday, 11 November 2015

The Fear

I thought coming back to university would be a walk in the park, in comparison to working a 9-5 job (I say 9-5 but I was in at 7.30 and left at almost 7pm on occasions). I was looking forward to the safe haven which uni provided, a routine of lectures, labs and tutorials. Only, I had forgotten the stress, the deadlines and the complete difference between university labs and working in an industrial laboratory.

This academic year I embarked on the first year of my integrated masters' course. At first, I was completely terrified of the expectations required from me, the jump in what they expected me to be able to do, and just generally worried about having forgotten everything in my year out. However, after the first week, I settled down, realised I knew more than I thought and now 7 weeks in, I've actually been enjoying all aspects of this course. I am so glad I changed my degree! Not only do I get to spend another year at uni (which is my favourite place) but I am able to work towards a higher level degree which will be so beneficial in the future, particularly as I do not know whether I want to undertake a PhD currently.

I'm not too sure where I was going with this post today, but I felt the need to share my little fear factor. I think I've learnt that you should aim for goals which terrify you in order to receive the greatest reward.

'Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood.' 
Marie Curie

No comments:

Post a Comment